Had a great WordPress Meetup tonight at SEO.com. I gave a short presentation about the WordPress loop, and how to integrate different content into theme templates.
For the last year or so, I have been heavily invested into the WordPressMU platform. For those that are unaware, WordPressMU is similar to WordPress, but allows the creation and implementation of literally thousands of other blogs all under the same domain. This software is what powers blogging networks like WordPress.com, EduBlogs.org, and projects that I have built, like Petomundo!, Photo-Bloggers.com, and UrTur.
When you are building around the WordPress platform, you get the benefit of the thousands of beautiful themes, robust plugins, and dedicated community of the platform, but WordPressMU, sometimes you need a little more, and that is where WPMU.org fits in. WPMU.org, and its premium version Premium.WPMUDEV.org which I am happily paying member are priceless tools when developing around the WPMU platform. Here are some of the essential tools for building a WordPressMU community.
- The Support Forums – Great place to get help when you need. They are always quick with a response, and happy to help.
- Training Videos – When creating a blogging network, some people are going to need some help. These videos were such a help when people needed help on Petomundo!.
- Google Analytics for WordPressMU – Able to be used for site-wide analytics, and for individual blogs. Great tool.
- MailChimp Newsletter Integration – For a project that I haven’t announced yet… Able to rapidly manage users and create email marketing campaigns.
- Rebranding WordPressMU – Remove and modify all of the images and links to WordPress. Sometime you want it to be your own! Part of the beauty of using Open Source Software…
- Terms of Service – Simply shows a terms of service box during signup that must be agreed to during signup. Great simple plugin.
- WordPressMU Affiliate – Create your own affiliate tools via this great plugin. Have your users help you in developing membership.
- The Premium Themes – Beautiful WordPress and BuddyPress themes with enough customization options to keep anyone happy. The themes alone are worth the price of the membership alone.
If you are developing around WordPressMU, membership to this site shouldn’t even be question. Every tool in the box is worth an annual membership, especially considering the robust support given.
- Show up
- Couple quick presentations
- Share problems
- Bask in a sense of childlike wonder about the intricacies of WordPress
- Go home a better individual then you were before.
All corny jokes aside, these meetups are a great way to meet fellow bloggers, designers, developers, and social media types from the area.
At the October event, we are going to have a loose format where anyone can take the podium. If you have something that you would like to share, please leave a comment here proposing a 5-10 minute presentation. Proposed topics currently include:
Thom Allen: WordPress Backup and Recovery
Ash Buckles: WordPress SEO (Plugins/Permalinks/etc.)
Thanks to Ash, we are having the event at the newly minted SEO.com. We have room for about sixty people, so tell your friends to come too.
- When: Wednesday Oct. 14 from 7-9 p.m.
- Where: 14870 S. Pony Express Road Ste. 100, just off Interstate 15 at the Draper/Bluffdale exit near the point of the mountain.
- What to bring: Bring your questions, your problems, something to share intellectually, and something on a plate to share physically. (i.e something delicious, perhaps cookies, crackers, seven-layer dip, etc.)
Please leave a comment here if you plan on coming so we can get a general count of who is going to be there.
Thanks and RT!